Friday, May 1, 2009

Octopus Ocellatus

Since I am destitute of my own mother's home cooking here I have to cop meals off of my Korean friend's mothers. My friend and co-worker, Kihyun, offered to have her mother cook me some of her specialty octopus...I was quick to accept. A week later she showed up at my door with containers full of octopus ocellatus, rice, and kimchi. A meal here wouldn't be complete without a full spread.

Kihyun said she eats this dish with her family regularly.

The octopus is separated in half - tentacles from head - and cleaned. It's then mixed with an assortment of vegetables - mushrooms, carrots, onions, peppers - and cooked in sesame and a spicy red pepper sauce. It leaves the mouth tingling with delight.

Yes, I always take my meals without a shirt on...it gives me a much more primordial experience of eating.
Pictured above is the full culinary ensamble. This photo wouldn't be complete without the unintentional yet aptly placed copy of Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food.

1 comment:

Perfectly Flawed said...

EWW JUSTIN! Tell Kihyun I said so!!