Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dirty Thieves


At approximtely 10:52:48 on Monday night, my bike was stolen from the ground floor of the Avalon school building. Whoever it was, the thief managed to take off with my bike even though the wheels were locked in place. Out of the four or five bikes down there, he managed to abscond with mine..why mine? I guess this is confirmation that I did have the coolest ride on the block. Its a shitty feeling to have your bike there in the morning and then, when you are happy to get off work and anticipate an enjoyable ride home, there is an empty void in its place.

I already put up threatening bilingual fliers in the hallways and around the street posts of my area demanding the bike's return. What irks me most is that Caitlin left school around 9:45 and the bike was still there. I left a little after 10PM and the bike was gone...15 minutes! I would have loved to have caught him in the act and broken all of his dirty little fingers. Welp, not much we can do about it now.

Alot of the Koreans tell me that bike theft, both cycles and motorbikes, is very common and there is nothing you can do to prevent it (even if you do a good job locking up your transport). Caitlin had her first bike (luckily a cheapy) stolen over the summer and got a second one when I arrived. Now everyone is storing their cycles up on the second and third floors, out of reach from the thieving scoundrels who roam and pillage the ground level.

Good thing Christmas is approaching...I think I am ready to move off the training wheels and up to a shiny new red bike.

2 comments:

uncle/greg said...

brother, how sad it is that I feel your pain. I cry when I need to. In August, I was driving to the city courthouse in North Bend, OR. I was on my way to pay my $200 traffic ticket from when I ran a red light on my bicycle (ridiculous), which a couple weeks after was STOLEN. How shameful it was to not even be able to bike to court. And the spiritual connection I felt with that bike was too much in combination which the sentimental song playing on the car's radio; I whimpered for minutes on end. Sorry for your loss.

Erin said...

awwww thats too bad... i didn't know that ur bike was stolen... do you have a new one now?