Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Elementary Class

I have one elementary class that I teach three times a week. This class is a handful of 9 and 10 year olds (except one 13 year old). The rest of my classes are middle school students - the kids who are too awkward to speak, are always picking at their faces, combing their premature mustache hair, and being little text-happy socialites during class.

These are photos of my youngest students from Halloween Day:

This is Jack. He does not shut his mouth in class and always raises his hand to ask if he can draw a picture on the board of his classmates with boogers coming out of their noses. He cries when I give him detention. I think he has a rash on his stomach.

This is Adam. He is quiet and never pays attention. Often, he just stares blankly at the wall in a world that I imagine to be full of dancing toothbrushes and jello squares. He also has strapped to his ankle a .22 caliber rubber-band gun.

This is Brandon. He is quick, witty, and loves to draw. Brandon calls my teaching illustrations "ugly" and thinks he could run the class better than I can. He prefers to draw massive battle scenes depicting the Japanese pillaging helpless villagers rather than do his schoolwork. I let him draw.

This is Sun. He is 13 and is bored with the work. He can only tell me so many times that "Lisa has the red shoes" before passing out on his desk.

This is Amy..I think she has a crush on Adam.

This is Alice. She draws little hearts next to her name on every test and homework. Her penmanship and pronunciation are excellent. She sits in the very front desk and always raises her hand. Can you tell shes the best student in the class?

1 comment:

Jen said...

OMG - they are so cute! i love the captions as well. I think Jack is my fav...what a little spitfire.